Tuesday 4 August 2015

What is 30 for 30?

What is 30 for 30 for DiabetesUK?
30 for 30 is a fundraising campaign which aims to raise £3000 for DiabetesUK through running. The challenge is to run 30 different competitive (and some fun) runs before my 30th birthday in June 2016.

Why?
This is a very common question; why Diabetes? Why running? Why 30 runs? Why bother?
The answers will be split up in to their different questions.

Why diabetes?
Diabetes is a subject that has always been very close to my heart. My mother has suffered from Type-1 diabetes since she was 16. My brother was diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes on his 18th birthday. Both control it with daily insulin injections but it has an obviously adverse effect on their lives and touches on the lives of others. It is thought that 1 in 17 people in the UK have diabetes. 90% of these cases are Type-2, which is often linked to obesity. According to my doctor, I am obese, as are 25% of the British population. This figure is set to rise to 50% by 2050. Consequently, cases of diabetes are also due to increase.

Why running?
I started running seriously in 2013 and raised £200 for DiabetesUK for my first half-marathon. Running is something that everyone can do.  It's easy to pick up, you need no technical equipment and it's a great way to get fit. Through running, I aim to show people that if I can do it, and do it to a reasonable standard, then anyone can. If anyone can get up and go running, then anyone can reduce their risk of diabetes. Running is also very identifiable. There are lots of running events throughout the UK and the world.

Why 30 runs?
Since starting running it has been something of a dream of mine to run the London Marathon, or to at least run ONE marathon before my 30th birthday. Following on from this, I decided that the noble thing to do would be to raise money by running the London Marathon. Unfortunately, I missed the boat on registering for the London Marathon so I decided to push my own proverbial boat out and do MORE. By running 30 runs before I'm 30, I'm setting a very personal and very serious challenge. Over 9 months, this equates to 1.2 runs per week. This means that some weeks I will be running two different events. Also, 30's a nice round number.

Why bother?
I ask this question a lot of myself and other people. To be honest, collecting money for charity isn't easy, and it's not fun. Asking people to part with their hard-earned cash is difficult - I wouldn't usually part with mine. In the Spring, I met someone who spent a lot of time volunteering in South Africa, to the point where they sacrificed parts of their own health or happiness to make sure that those who had had very disadvantaged lives could improve their situation and become happier and more stable because of it. This absolute selflessness was as inspiring as it was humbling. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, money, patience or selflessness to do the same thing, but I want to at least make some kind of difference to people who need care. DiabetesUK offers this kind of care to a lot of people who suffer from diabetes or who are affected by it.

One of my personal philosophies is that, in life lots of small things always add up to make a big thing. 30 small runs, countless small donations, and short bursts of support can all make a massive difference to those who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment